Sunday, October 5, 2008

2nd Project: Text and Image







See some images from this project on flickr.
My project started like so many of my projects before, with the determination to create something well thought through and stunningly beautiful. I tried a number of approaches that yielded no resutls. My problem? Perfectionism. With such ambitious aspirations, I soon got stuck.

From my first assignment I learned that the best antidote to stagnation is work, doing something, anything, without discarding any routes.

I started with a playful mindset, experimenting with image making in relation to text.

I made paper sculptures and covered them in words cut out from newspapers. See below:


















I drew a sequence showing a man lost in a jungle of letters, I made a stop-frame animation of a 'bullshit' churning machine (see video)... I drew on boxes found at charity shops, I attached speech bubbles to second hand plastic toys...

I had a lot of fun, but I didn't yet have a defined project. It occurred to me that I had to find an 'excuse' to carry on experimenting. Why give up the joyful spirit?

And then Eureka! Tongue twisters came to my mind.

Tongue twisters lure people into saying naughty things or making mistakes. They elicit a world of bizarre imagery and nonsense that lent itself perfectly to an experimental approach. The international mix of the MA made it really esasy to get first-hand tongue twisters from around the world.

Each tongue twister would be in a different language and, in turn, be made using a different technique and materials. Some of these include: collage, etching, gouache on wood, model making, biro pen drawings, altered paper bags, tins of green peas, and more...

I have also experimented with image crop, surprise, intrigue and the relationship between words and image-making, ranging from images that are really literal interpretations to images that have nothing to do with the text.

The end result: a surprise to myself, amusing and beautiful at times, intriguing as well... And definitely a joy to make...

No comments: